Analytics ----------------------------------

Monday, August 9, 2010

God is So Good!

For those of you who have been following with me for a while, you know the struggles we have had with our sweet little 2 year old and his host of allergies. To say he has food allergies is putting it mildly...in fact, he was diagnosed with 7 of the "Big 8" at only 9 months of age (he wasn't tested for seafood/shellfish because he was so young). Fortunately, we've been able to keep his eczema under control (by making his soap and cream from scratch!) and his seasonal allergies (which we suspect he has) have been relatively mild this year. However, the foodies have landed us in the emergency room once this summer and have led to 1 or 2 near emergency admissions. In all cases, the offending food has been unknown...nothing new, nothing he hasn't eaten before without incident, and nothing to which we could directly relate the rapid downward spiral of his respiratory system during each event.

Last Friday, I took our sweet angel to his first visit with a new allergist. Long story, but let's suffice it to say that I never took him back to the former allergist who, despite being the head of the Department of Pediatric Allergies for a prominent medical center, did not impress me at all (1 of his many ridiculous recommendations was to feed my son "nothing but potatoes...mashed, chopped, sliced in order to play with texture, but nothing but potatoes"...can you imagine?!). He also refused to order an Epi Pen Jr. for Micah, despite the fact that he tested highly reactive to many of the offending foods (the highest score possible on milk, casein, egg, and peanut/tree nuts).

Fortunately, I adore her new allergist, who is equally credentialed on paper and has a much better bedside manner to boot! We now have an Epi Pen Jr. and an allergist I trust to give my son the absolute best care possible. And the best part, following a skin test in her office, we learned that his soy allergy has resolved, wheat is barely perceptible, and egg (though still significant) has decreased measurably in reactivity. She also believes there is a strong possibility that he could out grow his milk allergy, leaving us with peanuts/tree nuts as the biggest offenders...that I can handle!

We still may not know exactly what set off the 3 episodes this summer, but I am much more comfortable with the way things stand. In the end, I am happy to now have a medical provider that I can trust to have my son's best interests at heart and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the healing he has experienced so far is no mere coincidence...I am above all else thankful that the Greatest Physician is watching over my son and working to heal him day by day...God is Good!!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! So glad to hear it! You know you'd better make some calls to let some others know as well! Not naming any names, but...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower and hadn't heard of the previous allergies but what a blessing to have a new doctor that actually gives you peace of mind!! I couldn't imagine not having an epi pen and a child with so many allergies! Glad to hear the good news!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails